Contracts are the foundation of any construction project whether it is a verbal agreement, a one-page purchase order or 5 bound volumes of industry standard contracts, specifications, drawings and supplemental conditions. This seminar will provide you with an overview of some of the most common construction documents, including:
- Tendering Documentation (Practices and Pitfalls);
- CCDC2, CCA1, CCDC3, CCDC4, CCDC 5A, CCDC 5B & CCDC 17 Contracts (and how they are often supplemented;
- Other contracts referenced within your contract and the impact of legislation like the Building Code Act, OHSA, and the new Construction Act);
- Performance Bonds;
- Labour and Material Payment Bonds;
- Statutory Declarations; and
- Risk analysis and considerations from the perspective of owners, general contractors and sub-trades, and we will also discuss the strategies for attempting to navigate through these risks.
Please note the information obtained from or through this course does not constitute legal advice, but is provided as guidelines for using works for educational purposes.
Michael represents clients from across Ontario in his construction law practice. He is involved in every facet of the construction industry, including strategy development from project inception to completion. He is experienced in structuring tendering and contract documents related to all aspects of development. Michael’s practical and time-saving advice has resolved wide-ranging issues arising from procurement and contract disputes and lien, trust and delay claims.
Krista has experience litigating a large number of business disputes, including those related to commercial leasing, construction, real estate, shareholder rights and remedies, and employment. Krista is adept at handling complex business litigation. She has appeared before all levels of Ontario courts, numerous tribunals and the Federal Court. Krista also has experience in alternative dispute resolution, and effectively provides advice and opinions that result in practical business solutions for her clients.