Construction is Canada's second largest goods producing activity that accounts for thirteen percent of Canadian GDP. This course will outline the basics of construction including procedures, laws and processes which focus on:
- Introduction to the Construction Industry
- Tendering, Bidding and Award of Contracts
- Format of Contracts
- Laws, Standards and Procedures in Construction
- Risk Management in Construction
- Construction Project Management & Administration
This course aims to breakdown the complexity of the Construction Industry by showing how various stakeholders – owners, consultants, contractors, sub-contractors, manufacturers, suppliers and service providers fit into the Industry. Participants will engage in learning activities that will enable them to appreciate project delivery from concept to closeout.
This course is ideal for administrative staff or anyone who is new to the Construction Industry.
Upon successful completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Summarize the role of various parties within the construction industry.
- Compare types of contractors and key players involved in the Industrial, Commercial, Institutional, Civil (ICIC) sector construction process.
- Identify applicable laws, standards, and procedures in construction projects.
- Describe contractual methods for project delivery.
- Name elements of risk management in the construction industry.
- Discuss construction management administration.
- Explain the role of various professional and trade industry associations
This course is Gold Seal Certified(2 credits) and qualifies you for OAA Continuing Education Learning hours.
Shaun McPherson, President, Platform Insurance
Derek Smith has been working primarily in the ICI construction industry for the past 20 years. He holds a BCIN in Ontario, and is a member of several professional associations. He is the President of S3AEC Consulting Ltd and currently practices in Toronto and London, Ontario.
Shaun McPherson is responsible for driving strategic placement and innovation for Canada's large and mid-market construction clients. With over 15 years experience in surety and performance security, Shaun is a leading expert in subcontractor default insurance, providing education to stakeholders throughout the industry.