The construction industry is being burdened with many claims and disputes. Claims related to delay; disruptions and other factors are commonplace on construction projects. As projects become increasingly large and complex, it is common to see project owners and their consultants passing on as much risk as possible to contractors; risk that a contractor may find difficult to manage and costly in terms of time and money should they eventuate.
This full-day course is designed for professionals in the construction industry looking to advance their understanding of construction claims. The course will provide industry professionals with techniques to manage the unique contractual challenges that come from different construction project delivery methods and which could lead to cost intensive disputes. The course will cover the usual reasons for disputes, and strategies to avoid and resolve those disputes in a most time and cost efficient manner.
At the end of this program, participants will be able to:
- Understand the basics of a successful project alias a claim/dispute free project
- Learn strategies for avoiding widespread industry weaknesses such as improper planning and scheduling
- Realize best claim avoidance and mitigation practices
- Learn best practices for dealing with changes and other site related issues
- Develop familiarity with contractual rights and obligations
Who Should Attend
- Project Managers/Construction Managers/ Site Supervisors
- Public or private owner
- General Contractor/Subcontractor
- Estimators, Engineers, Architects
- Legal counsels
Mr. Jiwan Thapar is a licensed Professional Engineer in Ontario. He has extensive experience in preparing and evaluating construction claims and expert reports. He has performed claims work for both contractors and owners, ranging in value from $10 million to over $50 million.