Who should attend
Effective Work Planning for Forepersons and Crew Supervisors is designed for crew leaders of all levels of experience and all trades. It also serves as a good back-to-basics refresher for superintendents.
Sadly, proper detailed planning is becoming a lost art in the construction industry. This course aims to reverse that trend by providing crew leaders with a strong model that will improve their crews’ (and by extension their companies’) performance. The course focuses on providing a strong foundational knowledge of task planning that can be applied to any work and is equally applicable to the supervisors of crews for trade and general contractors.
By attending an interactive on-line presentation and practical individual and group exercises, participants are taken through a back-to-basics approach to work planning. Coming out of the course, participants will have built their own plan and 2 week look ahead schedule for an example activity. The blank templates will be provided for the participants to apply the knowledge on their own work activities going forward.
- Identify the benefits of planning and why we do it
- Understand what planning is, who should do it, what we should plan and when
- Follow the Planning Cycle of Plan, Do, Check, Act
- Know where to gather the information needed to put together a solid plan
- Plan crew task activities including:
- Safety considerations
- Quality controls
- Manpower needs
- Material needs
- Equipment needs
- Working with other trades
- Build a 2 week look ahead schedule
- Create daily crew work plans
- Monitor and correct/ update the plan if it goes off track
- Communicate the plan to others
- Using templates provided, develop their own task plans, 2-week look ahead and daily crew plans
- Gather useful historical information to improve their future planning
Two 4-hour on-line (Zoom) sessions (~6.5 hours of instruction time) featuring instructor presentation, interactive group discussions, and practical group exercises. Frequent breaks and “stretch seconds” are included to help keep Participants alert and engaged.
Class sizes are limited to 16 Participants.
Credits: Gold Seal certified, 1 Gold Seal credit
OR Jan. 17 & 19, 2023
OR Apr. 19 & 20, 2023
OR Feb. 15 & 16, 2023
OR May 16 & 17, 2023
President, Mark Taylor Construction
Advisory Services Ltd.
Mark has over 30 years of construction industry experience working with major construction companies in Canada and the UK, including PCL and Stuart Olson. He now works with contractors to develop and improve the systems and processes they need to operate effectively and profitably in today’s market.