On July 1, 2018, the Construction Lien Act was amended and renamed the Construction Act.
The new Act has been modernized and will ultimately provide for promptness of payment at all levels of the construction pyramid and efficiency of dispute resolution on projects.
There are two key dates when the amendments will come into force:
- Amendments with respect to Prompt Payment, Adjudication and Liens against Municipalities will come into force on October 1, 2019;
- All other amendments to modernize the Act and Holdback Rules came into force on July 1, 2018.
The Big Changes made by the Construction Lien Amendment Act:
- Why and when you need to still know the old Act;
- New preservation and perfection deadlines
- Changes to the Holdback Provisions
- Prompt Payment Provisions
- New Adjudication Provisions
- Changes to the Trust Provisions
- Surety Bonds
- Transition rules
- Overview of the new Regulations
OR Wed. Mar. 27, 2019
Mr. Michael Swartz, WeirFoulds LLP