In these uncertain times of COVID-19, the potential for legal disputes is likely increased as contracting parties seek to determine and resolve who must pay for the increased prolongation costs and reduced efficiencies. This three (3) units program is designed for professionals in the construction industry looking to advance their understanding of construction claims. The program will provide industry professionals with techniques to manage the unique contractual challenges that come from different construction project delivery methods and which could lead to cost intensive disputes. After this program, the participants will have an in-depth understanding of essential tools to prepare, respond and manage construction claims.
Unit 1: Introduction to Construction Claims Management
- Understand the legal, contractual and claims framework
- Expand the understanding of different kind of construction claims
- Learn about the essential characteristics of a successful and persuasive claim
- Understand the importance of construction site records and documentation
- Notice requirements and its compliance
Unit 2: Advanced Construction Claims Management
- Understand the basics of what needs to be proven (contractor and owner’s perspective)
- Understand construction scheduling (critical path method) and its contribution to dispute resolution
- Discover the legal implication of typical scheduling practices
- Learn about other complex issues such as floats and its ownership, concurrent and pacing delays etc.
Unit 3: Construction Claims – Quantification of Damages
- Learn about potential damages incurred in construction disputes which include lost productivity, extended project management, unabsorbed overhead, stand by cost etc.
- Learn about the measurement/quantification approaches which are widely accepted
- Learn about Delay Analysis Techniques: Impact-As-Planned Method, Window or Snapshot Analysis, As Planned vs. As Built
- Learn about accepted methods of quantifying unabsorbed overheads such as Eichley and Hudson Formulae
Please note the information obtained from or through this course does not constitute legal advice, but is provided as guidelines for using works for educational purposes.
Sep. 16 & 17 (Wed. & Thu.), 2020
Oct. 28 & 29 (Wed. & Thu.), 2020
– V. Mincu, Senior Contract Administrator, Project Procurement, Materials & Procurement, TTC
Jiwan Thapar is the founder of JTE Claims Consultants Ltd. His expertise includes engineering, construction management, and dispute resolution. He is renowned for his leadership and advocacy of best practices to avoid and resolve claims and disputes. He leads presentations in facilitated mediation and settlement venues, and is an expert witness in litigation and arbitration.