This half-day seminar will cover the fundamentals of Construction Liens, Trusts and Bonds and is well suited for both seasoned and novice credit professionals, owners and managers in the construction industry. Attendees will come away with a practical understanding of these remedies, which are unique to the construction industry.
The relevant proposed changes to the Construction Lien Act will also be highlighted.
The Lien Remedy:
- types of liens
- preserving the lien before it expires
- the importance of the holdback
- effective use of the 'written notice of lien'
- requests for information
- priorities as between mortgages and liens
- effect of bankruptcy on liens
- CRA 'super-priority'
The Trust Remedy
- types of Trusts
- breach of Trust
- personal liability for breach of trust
- effect of bankruptcy on trust funds
- types of bonds with a focus on L&M Bonds
- obligations guaranteed each bond
- how to make a successful claim on L&M Bond
1900 Minnesota Crt., Ste 122, Mississauga L5N 3C9
Pallett Valo LLP
Anna Esposito heads up the Construction Practice and is a member of the Commercial Litigation Practice at Pallett Valo LLP. She is certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a Specialist in Construction Law, and recognized as a leading practitioner by The Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory.