A 4-week introduction to transformational leadership E-Learning course
This interactive online course is an introduction to transformational leadership program specifically for women construction professionals. It focuses on the behavioural side of leadership, social and emotional intelligence, influence, and relationship building.
Who should attend
Professional women in construction and related industries at any level who are interested in progressing their careers. This includes project managers, project coordinators, estimators, superintendents, accounting professionals, HR professionals, etc.
The curriculum includes:
WOMEN'S LEADERSHIP IN CONSTRUCTION:
Understanding the difference between transactional and transformational leadership models and when to lean into each style.
Understand your internal motivations and how to inspire other people.
SPONSORSHIP VS. MENTORSHIP
How to create opportunities for yourself and others.
THE LEADERSHIP MINDSET:
How to manage self-doubt, imposter syndrome, and how to think strategically.
- Have an understanding of your leadership strengths and how to apply them in your current role
- Have a vision for your career and how it fits in with your company’s goals
- Understand why the gender gap exists in the construction industry and why women cannot solve this issue alone
- Understand the difference between mentorship and sponsorship and how to find a sponsor for yourself
- Develop an action plan to build relationships inside and outside of your organization
- Be equipped with strategic thinking tools that can be applied at any level of your organization
- Have a strategy to increase your confidence and influence within your organization.
THIS COURSE INCLUDES
- Four weeks of on-demand curriculum (taken on your schedule – through a combination of video, audio, articles, and worksheets)
- Two x 1 hour live workshops via Zoom (these will be recorded in case you can't attend live)
- Q&A session with women construction leaders from the Toronto area
- Action planning worksheets
- Networking – build relationships with other women in the industry to share best practices ● Evidence-based articles to deepen your learning
- The course runs from May 30 - June 24, 2022
- The course consists of 9-hours of online curriculum that you do at your own pace, and 3 x one-hour live sessions over zoom
- Live Zoom workshops and Q&A sessions date & time: 12pm-1pm ET Friday, June 3, 10, and 17.
- The participants have to complete all of the online learning modules and assignments and then they will get the certificate.
'We are facing a talent shortage. It used to be about getting people in the door; now, itʼs about engaging that talent. This course helped to do that.'
– Lorin Robar, Regional Manager, Pomerleau
ʻThe course was so inspiring; it opened up participantsʼ eyes to opportunities to uplevel their current positions. People were still talking about it three months later. They came out of the session with a whole new perspective of where they could take their careers.ʼ
– Stephanie Wallace, Director Ottawa, Construction Association
ʻI originally had some concerns about the course being only for women as I was worried it could perpetuate prejudices against men. However, seeing people like myself in similar roles with similar challenges validated that I wasnʼt alone. Being in this setting allowed me to see that some of the traditional barriers women have faced in the construction industry are slowly fading. Donʼt get me wrong, there are still barriers to overcome, but they donʼt seem as impossible anymore.ʻ
– Janice Teale, Municipal Group of Companies