On July 1, 2018, the Construction Lien Act was amended and renamed the Construction Act.
The Act has been modernized and will ultimately provide for promptness of payment at all levels of the construction pyramid and efficiency of dispute resolution on projects.
There are two key dates when the amendments will come into force:
Amendments with respect to Prompt Payment, Adjudication and Liens against Municipalities will come into force on October 1, 2019;
All other amendments to modernize the Act and Holdback Rules came into force on July 1, 2018.
The Restoring Trust, Transparency and Accountability Act (Bill 57-December 6, 2018 Schedule B) has already made further amendments to the Construction Act.
- Why you need to still know the ‘old’ Act ( Transition Rules)
- New preservation and perfection deadlines
- Changes to the Holdback Provisions
- Changes to the Trust Provisions
- New Interim Adjudication Provisions
- New Prompt Payment Regime
- Mandatory prescribed Surety Bonds on Public Projects
- New preservation rules for liening Municipalities
- Overview of the new Regulations
Mar. 11, 2020 (half-day course)