Every road that you drive on, every school that you attend, every office that you work in and every hospital that you receive care at was designed and built by the people in the construction industry.
Construction is a team effort with owners, contractors, architects, and subcontractors performing key functions throughout the lifecycle of a project. This workshop delivers a step-by-step review of the project lifecycle, from initiation through close-out, with specific attention to the unique roles and responsibilities of these stakeholders at each phase of the project.
Project Initiation → Design → Tendering → Pre-Construction → Construction → Project Closeout → Owner Occupancy
Throughout the workshop you will understand the processes and procedures of a construction project and how they all fit together by examining the roles and responsibilities of the primary stakeholders as it all relates to the following:
Introduction to the Industry
- Construction sectors
- Stakeholders and their roles in the construction process
- Different stages of construction from development through design
The Design Process – The Architect’s Role
Role of the architect through phases of the design process:
- Schematic design
- Design development
- Construction documents
Project Delivery Methods
- CCDC & CCA contract delivery types
- Public-Private Partnerships (P3)
- Lean Construction
Pre-construction – General Contractor, Architect & Subcontractor Roles
- General Contractor: Company organization, organizing the project by creating a Construction Execution Plan, Social Responsibility Plan
- Architect: reviews agreements, schedules, organizes meetings
- Subcontractor: Reviews subcontract & scope of work, obtains insurances and bonds
Project Initiation – The Owner’s Perspective
- Financial planning
- Feasibility studies
- Functional programming
- Design and engineering
The Tendering Process – Owner & Contractor Perspectives
- Introduction to construction contracts and Canadian tendering law
- The competitive tendering process and RFP’s
- General contractor: estimating process
- Owner: receiving & reviewing tenders
Basics of legal agreements used in construction
- Contract components
- Contract examples
- Typical contract terms & conditions
Construction – General Contractor, Architect, Owner & Subcontractor Roles
- General Contractor: all processes required to execute a construction project including mobilization, changes, monitoring schedule, delays & claims, payment, submittals, project deliverables meetings, testing & inspection, closeout & more
- Architect: contract administration, changes, submittals, general review, deficiencies & more
- Owner: Cooperates with GC, payments, meetings, cash allowances, changes & more
- Subcontractor: mobilization, managing schedule, labour, materials & equipment, payments, changes, quality, deficiencies & more
Post Construction – General Contractor, Architect, Owner & Subcontractor Roles
- General Contractor: close out of subcontractors, owner and internally, final commissioning & warranty
- Architect: takeover procedures, commissioning & warranty
- Owner: own FFE, final payments, warranty and operational readiness
- Subcontractor: close out of sub-subcontractor & suppliers, reconcile financials with GC, respond to warranty issues
Manual: Exclusive to this workshop is a comprehensive 350+ page manual that is used as a reference and guide throughout the sessions. The manual is based on accumulated knowledge and experience gathered over 40 years in the construction industry. It is a valuable and effective tool that will be your construction knowledge go-to.
Who Should Attend: This course is suitable for the newcomers to Canada who want to work in the construction industry as well as those who are transitioning into the construction industry. Also it’s suitable for subcontractors, general contractors, project managers/coordinators, superintendents, foremen, engineers, owners, municipalities, procurement professionals, operations and administration personnel in the construction industry.
This workshop is total 14 hours, and is worth 2 Gold Seal credits. Please click here for more information.
OR Sep. 21, 22, 28 & 29, 2023 Thu. & Fri. 8am – 11:30am ET
OR Nov. 14, 15, 21 & 22, 2023 Tue. & Wed. 12:30pm – 4pm ET
President, Constructing Minds Inc.
Lee Kelly, M.A.A.T.O., P.GSC. With over 30 years of construction management experience under her belt, Lee has gained extensive knowledge and a solid foundation in construction practices, processes, and procedures. Lee was recently awarded The Construction Institute of Canada (TCIC) Chancellor's Award of Excellence.